The Crystal Peake Folklore Competition Terms and Conditions
The fee of £5.00 (incl. VAT) is payable via our online portal for electronic entries. The fee is non-returnable and is a condition of entry. There is no alternative form of payment available. If your payment does not clear then the entry will automatically be disqualified.
- The competition will run from 12thJanuary 2019 to 12thApril 2019.
- Unless otherwise stated, the competition is open to all entrants aged 18 or over, except employees of Crystal Peake Publisher Limited ('Crystal Peake') and their associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their families, agents, or anyone connected in any way whatsoever with this competition.
- Entries must be submitted online. Email submissions will be rejected.
- By entering, all eligible entrants agree to abide by each and all of these terms and conditions. The Promoters (as referred to in term 17 below) reserve the right, with or without cause, to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of these terms and conditions. The Promoters reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions. Any amendments will be published on the Crystal Peake Website (www.crystalpeake.co.uk)
- Submission Criteria
Entries must be the original work of the entrant and not previously commercially published and distributed. The entrant must personally submit the entry: any submissions from or found to be from agents will be void and rejected. Entries submitted in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted for this year (excluding any winning manuscripts). The entry must be a full manuscript of no more than 10,000 words, with a suggested minimum of 5,000 words and suggested maximum of 8,000. The entry should be suitable for a worldwide children’s audience aged between 7 and 18. Each entry must be accompanied by a brief synopsis and a letter of submission explaining the book’s appeal to children. (The synopsis should be no more than a page, and should give an overview of the complete story, including key characters, events and settings.)
Entries must be written in English. There will be no feedback on any entries except those longlisted or shortlisted, either during or after the competition.
- There will be six to eight Overall Winner’s. Subject to submission of a suitable creditworthy entry (as referred to below), the Overall Winner’s prize is the offer of a worldwide publishing contract with Crystal Peake. The publishing contract with the Overall Winner’s will be in line with industry standards for a debut children’s novel from Crystal Peake and will include full volume rights including Film & TV. The Overall Winner’s will be the entrant whose story, in the opinion of the judges, demonstrates the greatest entertainment value, quality, originality and suitability for children aged 7-18. However, in the event that the judges, in their sole opinion, determine that none of the entries are suitably creditworthy for a worldwide publishing contract the Promoters shall nonetheless select the best entry in accordance with these terms and conditions and award an alternative prize; namely, a full and detailed editorial consultation with Kevin Peake and the Crystal Peake editorial team, including creative and technical advice on their entry.
- Entrants retain all rights to their entries, except in the case of the winners to whom publishing contract will be offered. The winners will retain the copyright to the works and shall exclusively license worldwide publishing rights of the entry to Crystal Peake Publisher Limited on completion of the publishing contract.
- Selection Criteria
All valid entries received before the closing date will be read by a Crystal Peake editorially managed team of experienced freelance readers who will select a longlist of approximately 20 entries based on the judging criteria set out in Clause 5. Each of the longlisted entrants will be notified and will receive a reader’s report giving editorial advice if they do not reach the shortlist – those who do reach the shortlist will receive a summary of judges’ comments on their submission. The final shortlist of approximately twelve entries will be selected by Kevin Peake (Publisher & MD of Crystal Peake) based on the judging criteria set out in Clause 6. The shortlist will be announced online by Crystal Peake. If any such entrant decides to withdraw from the competition at this stage he/she shall notify Crystal Peake in writing. Subject to the foregoing provisions of this term all shortlisted entries will then be read by the judges and a winner selected based on the judging criteria in Clause 6. Notwithstanding the foregoing, and for the avoidance of doubt, there will be at least one independent judge involved in all the judging processes.
- The winners will be notified by the end of May 2019. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the winners before this date. If the winners cannot be contacted or are not available, the Promoters reserve the right to select other winners from entries which were received before the closing date.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prizes stated. The prizes are not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- The judges’ decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering, the entrants, including the winners, agree to allow the free use of their names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this and any future promotion.
- Uses of personal data received by Crystal Peake in the course of the competition are subject to current UK data protection legislation and the privacy policies found on the Crystal Peake Website. The winners’ names may be published on such websites.
- Submission of an entry will be deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The Promoters reserve the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition (including altering the prize or these terms and conditions) if, in their sole discretion, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified. The Promoters reserve, in their absolute discretion, the right to substitute a prize of equal value in the event that circumstances beyond their control make this unavoidable.
- The Promoters of this competition are Crystal Peake Publisher Limited of 65 Grasmere Drive, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 3TD.
- For details of the winners, please send a stamped envelope to Crystal Peake Publisher Limited of 65 Grasmere Drive, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 3TD, after 1 August 2019 stating that you wish to receive winner’s details for the Crystal Peake Folklore Competition.
- The competition is governed by English law and any dispute is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.